Massage Therapy Licenses and Permits

Before you accept your first massage client, make sure you have the proper licenses and permits. Be sure you check with your local area, as laws can differ.

Remember, too, that there's a difference between the professional massage therapy license you are required to have (in most states) before you can practice massage therapy and the commercial license you need to run a business.

Related: Massage Therapy State Regulations

Where to Find Out What You Need

  • State or province regulatory agency for massage therapy
  • State Department of Revenue and Consumer Affairs
  • County Clerk
  • City Hall

Types of Licenses and Permits

  • State, county, and/or city massage therapist license
  • City and/or county business license
  • City and/or county certificate of occupancy for an office
  • State and/or county DBA ("doing business as") permit
  • Seller's permit for your state, city or county (If you sell merchandise, you must collect sales tax.)
  • Employer Identification Number (from the IRS)
  • Permits from your local fire, health or police department
  • Building permits for building or remodeling space

Keep It Current

Be sure to keep track of expiration dates and mark your calendar to renew licenses and permits as necessary. Each type of license or permit might have rules for whether or how it is displayed.

"It's nice to know that I am part of an organization that is backing me 100 percent."

Kristie W., AMTA member since 2011