MBLEx Study Guide
Our free online study guide provides MBLEx practice exams and study resources that you can access via your computer or mobile app.
Log in on your computer or download the app and create an account to start testing your skills and knowledge. Your study history syncs with your app so you can pick up where you left off and study anywhere!Download the AMTA MBLEx Study Guide
What is the MBLEx?
Governed by FSMTB, the Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx) serves as the national entry-level licensure exam for 46 of the 49 regulated jurisdictions.
What are my state's requirements?
Each state has different requirements. Visit the AMTA state regulations page to learn more about requirements and to find your state's Board of Massage Therapy.
What's on the MBLEx exam?
Topics covered on the MBLEx include:
- anatomy and physiology
- pathology, contraindications, areas of caution, special populations
- physiological effects of techniques that manipulate soft tissue
- overview of massage & bodywork modalities/culture/history
- ethics, boundaries, laws & regulations
- guidelines for professional practice
Taking the MBLEx
The Test Process
- Apply online or by mail to take the exam.
- FSMTB will process the application within 5 business days.
- You will receive an Authorization to Test email and have 90 days to take the exam.
- You will need to schedule your exam online or by phone.
- An appointment confirmation email will be sent after scheduling.
- Your results will be available at the test center.
- Results will be sent to your state board or agency within 24 hours.
Important Items You Need to Know
- The exam is a 100 multiple choice exam taken on a computer.
- You will have 2 hours to complete the exam.
- A progress indicator will be on your exam screen to show you how much of the exam you have completed along with how much time you have remaining.
- You must answer all the questions on the exam.
- Visit the FSMTB website for information on accepted forms of identification as well as the location of testing centers near you.