The Importance of Long-Term Goals
Whether you are just starting your practice or have practiced for a while, you will want to create or update your long-term goals at least every three years—and some consultants suggest as often as yearly.
Types of Goals
Goals can be both philosophical and practical. They can be related to financial achievements, personal dreams, types of clients or level of education you want. One way to develop goals is to answer the following questions:
- What kind of work do you want to do?
- Do you want to work alone or with others?
- What kind of business relationship do you want with others? (For instance, do you want to supervise employees? Do you want a business partner? Do you want to work independently?)
- What level of income do you want or need?
- For what do you want to be known?
Examples of Types of Goals
|Type of Goal
|Long-term (five years)
||Develop a specialty in infant massage.
||Build stamina to provide six massage sessions in one day.
||Pay back school loans.
||Have the flexibility to take up to three weeks off per year without pay.
||Low birth weight infants.
||Spa with 18 to 25 employees.