Representatives from all seven participating organizations in the Coalition of National Massage Therapy Organizations met December 1, 2013 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The meeting began with five hours of constructive exchange on reactions to The Core: Entry-Level Massage Education Blueprint, its companion document The Core: Entry-Level Analysis Project Report (ELAP), and discussion about project implementation.
Participants agreed that the documents will remain in draft form pending review by the boards of directors of the constituent organizations in January 2014 and development of an agreed upon Coalition statement. All project documents will be publicly released after this review.
Also discussed at the meeting: COMTA research on the value of programmatic accreditation, a presentation of the Alliance for Massage Therapy Education’s final report on “Core Competencies for Massage Therapy Teachers,” a re-examination of the original Coalition priorities formed in September 2011, a discussion about profession entry examinations, and a COMTA/Alliance proposal for a 2015 joint educational congress.
The Coalition meets as needed to consider important issues related to the profession. The following massage therapy organizations participate in the Coalition:
- Alliance for Massage Therapy Education (AFMTE)
- American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA)
- Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals (ABMP)
- Commission on Massage Therapy Accreditation (COMTA)
- Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB)
- Massage Therapy Foundation (MTF)
- National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB)