AMTA 2017 National Elections
While the application process is closed for 2017, there is still some great information for you to learn before election ballots are sent by email on November 15. Learn more about the roles and responsibilities of our national board.
AMTA National Board Candidate Checklist
For those being considered, applicants must meet the eligibility criteria and complete the application process. This includes:
- Sign board of directors code of conduct
- Fill out applicant eligibility form
- Sign conflict of interest form
- Take four online courses and pass the corresponding online exams.
- Fill out the bio application
- Submit 60-90 second candidate video
- Submit three letters of reference from professional and personal colleagues and friends. The letters should speak to skills in leadership, volunteer experience and team work.
- Participate in 30 minute phone interview with the Slate Selection Commission
What is the Slate Selection Commission?
The Slate Selection Commission (SSC) is a group of current and recent past national volunteers with deep knowledge of AMTA who guide candidates through the application process and ensure they meet the high standards required of national board service.
Members eligible to serve on this commission includes: Chapter President Council Moderators, national presidents, past and current national committee members, past Commission on Candidacy members and past Slate Selection Commission members.
Through much discussion and debate the Slate Selection Committee has the important responsibility to bring forward the strongest slate of candidates for the AMTA members to consider. As such the SSC considers all applicants with regard to not only individual traits, but also considers those traits that work together to create strongest possible team to lead AMTA.
The following information is from AMTA bylaws and policy:
Bylaws. Slate Selection Commission
A. The Slate Selection Commission receives and reviews applications for candidacy to the national board and shall ensure that one qualified candidate is on the ballot for each open position. A member of the Slate Selection Commission may not be recruited for elected position.
B. The Slate Selection Commission shall be appointed by the President with approval of the National Board of Directors.
1. There shall be five members:
a. Two past National presidents having served as president within the last five years
b. Two current or past Slate Selection Commission members having served in that role within the last five years
c. One from current standing committees or CPC moderator
2. The term of appointment is for two years beginning on the first day of the fiscal year following the appointment.
3. Slate Selection Commission members shall serve no more than two consecutive two-year terms.
4. The President-Elect is an ex-officio and non-voting member.
5. The chair of the Slate Selection Commission shall be appointed by the President.
C. Duties and empowerments of the Slate Selection Commission shall be defined in AMTA policy.
Policy. The SSC shall have the following duties and empowerments:
- Shall review AMTA recruitment and elections policies.
- Shall establish candidate application credentialing procedures.
- Shall assess the skillsets and expertise needed by the board.
- Shall contact incumbents to discover if they intend to seek re-election.
- Shall make available appropriate education tools for potential applicants.
- Shall recruit for all open Director positions between August 1 and November 1.
- Shall confirm that each candidate has demonstrated a familiarity with AMTA Bylaws, policy, procedure and other relevant information through online testing or similar methods.
- Shall interview all applicants.
- Shall determine the best applicants to fill positions on the slate.
- Shall create and maintain guidelines for publication of candidate information.
Watch for Your Election Ballot on November 15
The AMTA National Board of Director application process is closed, and election ballots will be sent by email on November 15. Questions? Contact email@example.com.