According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraine is an extraordinarily prevalent neurological disease, affecting 39 million men, women and children in the U.S. and 1 billion worldwide.
The American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) has resources to help massage therapists offer relief to clients with migraines, from the latest research to an in-depth online continuing education course.
1. New! Tackling Migraines Head-on | Massage Therapy Journal - To help your clients who get migraines, you’ll need to understand the condition and what massage therapy has to offer in terms of pain relief. Read on »
2. Helping Clients Manage Migraines | 3 CE Credits - Learn how massage therapy can help clients who suffer from migraines and the special considerations to keep in mind in this popular online CE course. Register now »
3. New! Research: Can Acupressure Relieve Migraine-related Nausea? - Nausea and vomiting are one of the diagnostic criteria for migraine. Find out if accupressure can help relieve migraine nausea. Read the research »
4. Client Handout: Massage + Migraine, Tension-type Headaches - Access a downloadable handout with research supporting massage for migraines to print out and share with your clients! Spread the word »
5. Cold Stone Therapy for Migraine Headaches | Massage Therapy Journal - Get detailed information on migraine headaches and an overview of how cold stone therapy can help. Read on »
Hands-on CE: Introduction to Headache Relief Techniques
September 15 at the AMTA 2017 National Convention in Pasadena, California
Susan Juczak has been a licensed massage therapist for more than 30 years and an educator for more than 17 years. She is a graduate of The Swedish Institute and is certified in neuromuscular therapy. She is an NCBTMB approved Continuing Education Provider and teaches workshops nationwide.
Learn techniques to help clients with muscular tension-type headaches. Review common factors in headaches, anatomy, trigger point techniques, muscular imbalances and relaxation approaches, and create a headache questionnaire.
Materials Required: Massage table
Learn more & reigster for the AMTA 2017 National Convention »
Massage for Health & Wellness
Pain & the Mind's Response: How Massage Can Help Pain
Massage + Fibromyalgia: the Right Touch
Massage for Shoulder Dysfunction