$45.00 members / $75.00 nonmembers 3.0 CE credits
Purchase Already purchased? Sign in to take this course »
This is an introductory course on working with children with cancer. Explore the various types of pediatric cancer, and how massage can help. Learn the skills needed for pediatric oncology massage, along with the precautions and contraindications.
NOTE: The information contained in this course is intended to provide a general overview of considerations for working with children with cancer. More specific in-class time is required to succeed with these clients.
Related: Cancer & Massage Therapy: Essential Contraindications | 2.5 Credit Hours and Cancer and Massage Therapy: Treatments | 3 Credit Hours
Learn the need for and value of extra training in order to serve pediatric clients with cancer. Get a general understanding of how pediatric cancer requires different skills than those used when treating adults and of the pediatric cancers and cancer treatment. When you finish this course you will be able to:
- Understand the value of the additional study required to provide massage therapy for pediatric clients with cancer.
- Understand the importance of communicating with the healthcare team for pediatric clients with cancer.
- Describe two types of cancer that account for over 50% of childhood cancers.
- Describe when and what kind of additional training is needed to treat pediatric clients with cancer.
- List five systemic and five local conditions where massage therapy is contraindicated in pediatric clients with cancer.
- List five precautions and special considerations that require research before treating a pediatric client with cancer.
- Define the five “P’s” that are key to successful treatment of pediatric clients with cancer.
About the author(s)
With over a decade of service to children and families, Tina Allen, founder of the children’s health and nurturing touch organization Liddle Kidz Foundation, has become a respected international lecturer and author on infant and pediatric massage.
Please note that you must complete each AMTA online learning course and pass the exam one year from the date of purchase. If you do not complete the course and pass the exam within one year, you will be required to re-purchase the course.
Online courses expire one year from the date of purchase. When a course expires, you will no longer have access to the course materials and will be required to re-purchase the course.
Course approval codes
MSP #181; LCEU0002186
This course contains information that is proprietary. None of the material contained within this course may be used without the express written permission of AMTA unless otherwise indicated in the course.
You are responsible for ensuring that any new modalities, techniques, or products you use comply with your state's defined scope of practice for massage therapy. (See amtamassage.org/regulation.) While AMTA makes every attempt to present information that is beneficial to you and your massage therapy practice, the courses provided by AMTA are for educational purposes only and are not intended to cover every situation that you may encounter. Information presented here does not replace your independent judgment and that of your company and/or employer. AMTA does not endorse or approve, and AMTA assumes no responsibility for, the content, suitability, accuracy, or completeness of the information presented.
Online courses are non-refundable. AMTA will not cover fees incurred from duplicate payments, insufficient funds, stopped payments or credit/debit cards over credit limits.