- Breakeven Analysis
- Every business plan needs to include a breakeven analysis—a calculation based on estimates of earnings and expenses that will predict when a business will be profitable.
- Buying vs. Creating Your Business
- Your massage therapy business may seem more like a way of life than a real business—a collection of assets and liabilities that must produce a profit. However, to be successful it’s OK to…
- Calculating Massage Client Demand
- Having a good idea of how many clients might use the services your practice provides will give you an idea how well your business will do in your area. You’ll also want to have a realistic…
- Common Tax Deductions for Massage Therapists
Learn about common tax deductions for your massage practice, including eligible deductions and the importance of professional advice.
- Creating and Managing a Budget
- Creating and managing a budget are fundamental to running a business. A budget allows you to forecast how much revenue you expect to have at your disposal during a given time period, as well as how you might use this revenue to maintain or grow your practice.
- Estimating Your Massage Practice's Monthly Expenses
One of the basic requirements of establishing a massage therapy business is estimating your expenses so you can create a budget. You should estimate expensese when you first start your practice, as well as when you annually review your budget.
- Financial Health At-a-Glance
- Formula for Profitability
Profitability is the result of your income exceeding your expenses. So it makes sense that, to be profitable, you must manage both your income and your expenses. Part of…
- Keeping Financial Records as a Massage Therapist
- Devising a system or a routine for your massage business finances will help you maintain accurate records on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, saving you hours, maybe days, of work quarterly (when…
- Start-Up Expenses for a Practice
- Opening your own practice isn't as easy as making the decision and watching clients walk through your doors. You need to seriously consider the costs associated with starting a business so you're…
- Types of Financial Records for Your Massage Business
Whether you do your own accounting and bookkeeping or hire a professional to do it for you, you need a reliable method for keeping track of how much money comes into and goes out of your massage therapy business.
- Your Taxes as a Massage Therapist
As a business professional, it is your responsibility to understand how to calculate how much you owe in taxes, what expenses are allowable as deductions and when your taxes are due. AMTA's online CE course Take Care of Your Taxes can help you navigate the process
Related Massage Therapy Journal articles
"Being a member of AMTA has totally opened my business and career wide open."
—Kelly L., AMTA member since 2010