• Sign in to your account
  • Join now
  • Renew
  • Cart: 0 | $0.00

Licenses and Permits

Before you accept your first client, you must make sure your licenses and permits are all up to date. Be sure you check with your local area, as laws can differ. Remember, too, that there's a difference between the professional license you are required to have (in most states) before you can practice massage therapy and the commercial license you need to run a business.

Where to Find Out What You Need

  • State or province regulatory agency for massage therapy
  • State Department of Revenue and Consumer Affairs
  • County Clerk
  • City Hall

Types of Licenses and Permits

  • State, county, and/or city massage therapist license
  • City and/or county business license
  • City and/or county certificate of occupancy for an office
  • State and/or county DBA ("doing business as") permit
  • Seller's permit for your state, city or county (If you sell merchandise, you must collect sales tax.)
  • Employer Identification Number (from the IRS)
  • Permits from your local fire, health or police department
  • Building permits for building or remodeling space

Keep It Current

Be sure to keep track of expiration dates and mark your calendar to renew licenses and permits as necessary. Each type of license or permit might have rules for whether or how it is displayed.

| Share

"Being a member of AMTA has totally opened my business and career wide open."

Kelly L., AMTA member since 2010

We are AMTA

AMTA has long been the leading choice among massage therapists looking to establish themselves within the profession. We provide our members with the strongest benefits and promote massage therapy to the public and health care community.

Learn more

Contact us
500 Davis Street, Suite 900 Evanston, IL 60201 1-877-905-0577 8am–5:30pm CT M–F
Contact us
Stay connected

Read mtj »