2015 Grants and Contests Now Open
The Foundation offers many opportunities to advance massage therapy research. Three different options are available:
- Research Grants-funds research studies investigating the beneficial applications of massage therapy. Deadline to apply: Monday, March 2, 2015.
- Community Service Grants-awarded to charitable organizations that provide massage therapy to those having no or little access to such services. Deadline to apply: Wednesday, April 1, 2015.
- Practitioner and Student Case Report Contests-intended to enhance professional development and research skills. Deadline to apply: Practitioner Case Reports: Thursday, October 1, 2015, Student Case Reports: Monday, June, 1, 2015.
Research Perch Podcast
The Massage Therapy Foundation is pleased to announce the addition of the Research Perch podcast to the list of free educational tools available for your individual and school’s use.
What is it? Research Perch is a podcast designed to help massage therapists, educators, and students learn how to use massage therapy research in practice. Each episode digs into a specific article from the MTF’s International Journal of Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (IJTMB) and unpacks it so listeners will know how it may apply in their work. We hope schools will consider using our Research Perch podcasts as an educational tool in the classroom or refer students to it, in order to get them excited about research and involved in it from the start of their careers.
What do listeners have to say about it? “I love Research Perch! This podcast breaks down research topics into easily understandable information that is instantly applicable to my hands-on massage practice. It’s often great info to share with clients and inspiring to see how accessible research really is.”
It is now accessible on iTunes and Stitcher. The podcast is posted to the MTF blog every other Wednesday. For more information, contact MTF communications manager Mandy Vukits at email@example.com.
Register for the Basics of Research Literacy
Learn more about the basics of research literacy in an 8-hour NCBTMB-approved online course. When taking this course, you will gain knowledge on the following topics:
• Understand basic research vocabulary and concepts;
• Know how to use various databases to quickly find the information you’re looking for;
• Discern the differences between advertisements, trade magazines, and academic journals;
• Evaluate published research for its validity;
• Apply findings to your work to build your practice and improve outcomes.
Learn more and register for Basics of Literacy Research here.
International Journal of Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (IJTMB)
The Massage Therapy Foundation is pleased to provide the “International Journal of Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork: Research, Education, & Practice” (IJTMB). It is available at www.ijtmb.org.
IJTMB is an online, peer-reviewed, open access scientific journal for the therapeutic massage and bodywork profession, and is available free of subscription fees and contributing author charges. It’s an indispensable resource for members of the massage and bodywork profession as well as for related health-care professionals.
Learn more about IJTMB at: www.massagetherapyfoundation.org/ijtmb/