Your Massage Therapy Foundation is Running the 2016 Boston Marathon!
Join us in congratulating the new members of Team MTF-Running for Research that will participate in the 2016 Boston Marathon! We have three amazing individuals running this year. Nicole Bucar is an Associate Product Manager for Performance Health and has run fourteen marathons. Marcy Cook is the founder of “Generation Wellness” and has been running strong for the past five years. David Otto has been practicing massage therapy in the Las Vegas area for fifteen years and is looking forward to making Boston his third marathon.
We are thrilled to have such an amazing group of individuals run for the Foundation this year. We also would like to send a big thank you to the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA), Massage Warehouse, and Performance Health for partnering with us in sponsoring Team MTF.
Read more about their stories.
2016 International Massage Therapy Research Conference “Integrating Therapies for Pain”
Join us at the 2016 International Massage Therapy Research Conference in Seattle, Washington, May 12-15. We have some exciting updates to share with you:
- Keynote Speakers: The 2016 conference will feature three prominent individuals who are leaders in the healthcare field: Wayne Jonas, M.D., Brent Bauer, M.D., and Jo Smith, PhD. Find out more about each of them here.
- Registration is now open – Register for the conference before April 20th to get your early bird discount! Connect with fellow healthcare professionals and researchers from around the globe. Get more information here.
- Book your hotel now – Reserve your room at the Renaissance ® Seattle Hotel before April 20th to receive a group discounted rate. Find out more here.
2016 Grants and Contests
The Massage Therapy Foundation is pleased to bring you many opportunities to advance the massage therapy profession. Get started early! Deadlines are approaching fast!
- Research Grants- funds research studies investigating the beneficial applications of massage therapy. Awards are up to $30,000. Deadline to apply: Tuesday, March 1, 2016.
- Community Service Grants - awarded to charitable organizations that provide massage therapy to those having little or no access to such services. Awards are up to $5,000. Deadline to apply: Friday, April 1, 2016.
- Practitioner and Student Case Report Contests-intended to enhance professional development and research skills. Deadline to apply: Practitioner Case Reports - Monday, October 3, 2016, Student Case Reports - Wednesday, June, 1, 2016.
Click here to get started on your applications.
Donations at Work
The Foundation is proud to give massage therapy professionals and students the chance to bring their skills to those in need with our grants and contests. Many of our grantees and contest winners have been featured in publications across the nation. This past year, Deborah Backus, PhD and Director of the Multiple Sclerosis research at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, Georgia, had her work showcased on the organization’s website. Dr. Backus is conducting research on how massage therapy can improve the pain symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis patients. She is one of our 2014 Research Grantees working to prove that massage therapy can benefit the health and well-being of others. You can read the article here. You can also find out more about her study on our website here.