The Coalition of National Massage Therapy Organizations met December 4, 2015 in Chicago, IL to continue dialog on a variety of issues facing the massage therapy profession. The coalition comprises seven organizations participating on an equal footing, in an atmosphere of mutual participation and respect. Two representatives from each of the organizations participated in the daylong conversation.
Seven topics were on the agenda and each organization provided an update on their organizational initiatives. Topics for discussion included: FSMTB Model Practice Act, Continuing Education Oversight, Accreditation & Recognition/Massage School Landscape, Polaris Project/Human Trafficking, and identification of topics and issues for ongoing discussion.
- Alliance for Massage Therapy Education (AFMTE), Cherie Sohnen-Moe, President & Stan Dawson, Vice President
- American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA), Jeff Smoot, President & Bill Brown, Executive Director
- Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals (ABMP), Bob Benson, Chairman & Les Sweeney, President
- Commission on Massage Therapy Accreditation (COMTA), Dawn Hogue, Chair & Kate Zulaski, Executive Director
- Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB), Karen Armstrong, President & Debra Persinger, Executive Director
- Massage Therapy Foundation (MTF), Jerrilyn Cambron, President & Gini Ohlson, Executive Director
- National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB), Leena Guptha, Chair & Steve Kirin, CEO
The coalition agreed that future conversations would likely include focus on the following:
- Continuing Education oversight
- Human trafficking
- Teacher Standards Project
Participants agreed to meet next on May 26, 2016.