- Your massage therapist will ask preliminary questions to determine your overall health and your health and wellness goals.
- The massage therapist will consider information about your physical condition, medical history, lifestyle, stress levels, medications and any areas of physical pain that could affect your massage therapy outcome.
- This information will help the massage therapist structure the session to achieve your health and wellness goals.
- Before your massage, you’ll be asked to remove clothing to your level of comfort.
- The therapist will leave the room while you undress and remove any jewelry or other articles that might interfere with the massage. Take off only as much as you are comfortable removing.
- Lie on the massage table, underneath the provided sheet or towel, which will cover your body except for the part being massaged.
Chair massages, which often are offered in public spaces and workplaces, are an exception. A specially-designed massage chair lets you lean forward and supports the front of the body. You remain clothed and no oil or lotion is used. Seated massages typically last from 10 to 30 minutes.
- Music might be played during your massage session. If you find music distracting, tell your massage therapist. The same goes for talking during your session.
- Your massage therapists should check on pressure and comfort throughout your appointment. If you're uncomfortable at any time, tell your massage therapist.
- The massage table is padded, and may have extra attachments or cushions, such as a face cradle, which allows you to lie facedown without turning your head or neck.
- The therapeutic effects of massage are cumulative, so work with your massage therapist to develop a custom plan to meet your health and wellness goals.
Massage for Health and Wellness
"As a professional member of AMTA, I have found comfort in knowing that all the effort I put into obtaining my massage certification is recognized and protected. AMTA standards validate the profession."
—Kim K., AMTA member since 2003