We understand that many travel and training budgets have been slashed, which often means that regardless of the merits of a conference, you'll probably need to justify the expense. So here are some things you might want to consider:
- Focus on what you will specifically bring back to your school as return for the investment.
- Offer to prepare and deliver a short presentation and Q&A to your colleagues to share what you learned so that others at your school can benefit from your attendance.
- Share the speaker handouts with your colleagues. As an attendee, you have unlimited access to materials posted by speakers.
- Be ready with a plan that shows who will cover for you while you are attending the conference.
Sample Letter to your school owner or administrator
Below, you'll find a justification letter template—a letter to your school owner or administrator explaining all of the benefits you'll get from attending the AMTA Schools Summit, how attendance will make you a better educator, and help advance your school. This general template will get you started while allowing you to customize it to your organization's particular needs.
Download the Word document version
I would like to attend the AMTA 2013 Schools Summit, February 7-8, in Chicago, Illinois. The Schools Summit has many educational sessions that are directly applicable to my work and will allow me to network with a variety of education experts and colleagues from around the country. Some of this year's topics include:
- Managing student behavior in the classroom
- Exploring ethics as right use of power
- Best practices in the classroom
- Blending face-to-face and online learning
In addition, I will be able to take advantage of the top notch exhibitors.
I am seeking sponsorship for the registration fee, travel expenses to the conference, and living expenses during the conference. A detailed cost breakdown is included below:
Before submitting to your school, you will need to insert your travel cost numbers in here:
- Roundtrip Airfare: $xxxx
- Gound transportation (to and from airport): $xxxx
- Hotel: $132 plus tax (if you stay at the Summit meeting hotel)
- Meals: $xxxx
- Summit registration fee*: $395 (if registered by January 14)
- The total costs associated with attending this conference are: $xxxx.
The opportunity for me to develop better contacts and gain knowledge from top educators makes my attendance at the AMTA Schools Summit a wise investment, which will yield great returns for <name of your school>.
<your name here>
*Please note, if you are not sure if you are an AMTA member, contact us.