Massage therapy can play an important role in your health regimen. Research shows how you may benefit from regular massage therapy.
Five Health Benefits of Massage Therapy
1. Control stress. The longterm effects of stress can take emotional and physical tolls. Massage therapy may relieve stress and conditions associated with it, such as tension headaches.
2. Increase immunity. Medical research indicates that massage therapy can help boost the immune system by increasing the activity level of the body’s natural "killer T cells,” which fight off viruses.
3. Boost mental health and wellness. Research suggests that symptoms of stress, anxiety and depression (all associated with mental health) may be directly affected with massage therapy.
4. Manage pain. Pain can negatively affect a person’s quality of life and impede recovery from illness or injury. Research shows massage can help low-back pain, headaches, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and more.
5. Improve physical fitness. Elite and recreational athletes alike can benefit from massage therapy. Massage can help reduce muscle tension, improve exercise performance and prevent injuries.
Massage for Health & Wellness
WATCH: Mayo Clinic Physician on the Health Benefits of Massage
Low-Back Pain Sufferers: Massage Therapy Can Help
The Benefits of Massage for Older Adults